Adult-use and medicinal cannabis businesses are authorized in the City of La Mesa pursuant to La Mesa Municipal Code Chapters 6.11 and 24.23 (Measure U), respectively, subject to specific locational and operational requirements.
- Chapter 24.23 codifies Measure U as passed by the voters of the City of La Mesa in November 2016. Measure U requires a conditional use permit for medicinal retail sales, cultivation, and manufacturing.
- Chapter 6.11 was adopted by the La Mesa City Council in October 2019 and regulates adult-use cannabis businesses. It authorizes adult-use cannabis businesses to co-locate with medicinal businesses approved under Measure U, as well as stand-alone adult-use cannabis cultivation, manufacturing, distribution, and testing laboratory businesses. No retail adult-use cannabis businesses are authorized except for co-locations with retail locations approved under Measure U.
The Interactive Cannabis Business Sites Map and Cannabis Business Application Table provide information on cannabis business applications location, business type, applicable regulations (Measure U and/or Adult Use Ordinance), and current status.
The following adult use retail storefronts (as of October 17, 2022) are the licensed cannabis dispensaries currently in operation in the City. The Department of Cannabis Control provides a license search to verify if a cannabis business is licensed. Please notify the City or the Department of Cannabis Control if you have any concerns regarding a cannabis business operating in the City of La Mesa.
- 8760 Campo Road, dba Dr. Greenthumb’s
- 8300 Center Drive, dba EMBR
- 8155 Center Street, dba The Grove
- 7339 El Cajon Boulevard, dba Urbn Leaf
- 7935 El Cajon Boulevard, dba Cookies La Mesa
- 8744 La Mesa Boulevard, dba The Reserve SD
- 8939 La Mesa Boulevard, dba Urbn Leaf
- 5301 Lake Murray Boulevard, dba Welgreens
- 8160 Parkway Drive, dba Jungle Boys San Diego
- 8260 Parkway Drive, dba Backpack Boyz
- 7180 University Avenue, dba Emjay
- 7729 University Avenue, dba LiT La Mesa
Please be aware of online e-commerce scams and other fraudulent activity that pose as legitimate cannabis storefronts. Cannabis retailers are required to be licensed and to post their license number on the associated website. Licensed cannabis retailers are regulated by the state and local jurisdiction to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the residents of the City of La Mesa and to enforce rules and regulations consistent with state law. The best way to minimize the potential of being a victim of fraud or other malicious activity would be to verify that the retail storefront or delivery service is licensed by the state and city prior to any interactions with a perspective cannabis retailer or service provider.
Applications for Adult-Use Cannabis Businesses
Applications are being accepted electronically for Adult-Use Cannabis Business Licenses. Links to the applications, insurance requirements, and other information for adult-use cannabis businesses can be found below. When all required materials have been assembled, please contact Howard Lee at 619.667.1103 or firstname.lastname@example.org to facilitate your application submittal. Incomplete submittals will be rejected.
Measure U Applications
Planning Application Packet
Conditional Use Permit Application
Environmental Assessment/Initial Study Application
Measure U Cultivation Supplemental Application
Measure U Manufacturing Supplemental Application
Measure U Dispensary Supplemental Application
Community Development Department Fee Schedule
All cannabis business applications require Live Scan and background check for cannabis business owners and others involved in the cannabis business, as applicable. Requests for Live Scan must be submitted to and conducted through the La Mesa Police Department. Requests for Live Scan will not be accepted through another agency. Complete the form electronically and print it (preferred), or print the form and complete by hand, and then bring it with you to fingerprinting. The La Mesa Police Department, 8085 University Avenue, provides Live Scan service by appointment only, available weekly on Wednesdays and Thursdays. If you would like to set an appointment, please call 619.667.7592. Please see the current Police Department Fee Schedule for applicable background check fees found on the City’s Fee Schedule page
Cannabis Business Tax
Cannabis in La Mesa Newsletter
The Cannabis in La Mesa Newsletter is intended to provide pertinent information periodically to local community members and cannabis businesses with business related updates, reminders and announcements. The City regularly works with local cannabis businesses to ensure compliance with state laws and local regulations to protect the health, safety and welfare of the La Mesa community.
Other Application Information
Building Division Policy – Cannabis Cultivation & Manufacturing Facilities Odor Control
Cannabis Cultivation & Manufacturing Facilities Odor Control Acknowledgement and
Exterior Odor Control Standards & Testing Procedures Cannabis Cultivation and
Adult-Use Cannabis Business Insurance Requirements
Measure U Sensitive Uses Address List
Measure U Cultivation and Manufacturing Constraints - Citywide
Department of Cannabis Control
La Mesa Municipal Code Chapter 6.11 Adult-Use Cannabis Business Ordinance
La Mesa Municipal Code Chapter 24.23 Measure U Ordinance
Measure U/Medical Marijuana FAQs - 1/18/2017
Measure U FAQs - 1/26/2017
Measure U FAQs - 3/17/2017
To submit a compliment, ask a general question or submit a cannabis business related concern, please contact Howard Lee at 619.667.1103 or email@example.com.