Program OverviewBusiness Crime Prevention and Residential Crime Prevention are presentation topics available through the Crime Prevention Unit. A Crime Prevention Specialist conducts presentations that are of particular interest to business owners and general presentations for everyone. All are provided at no charge.
Business Crime Prevention
The Business Crime Prevention presentation will cover various topics on:
- Business Alert Program - learn why it is important for business owners to network with each other and how it works to prevent crime.
- Commercial Security Survey - The Crime Prevention Specialist will come to your business and make recommendations as to locks, lighting, mirrors, cameras, and landscaping. These recommendations can help to make your business less likely to be the target of a burglary or armed robbery.
- Armed Robbery - factors that make your business a target for robbery, what to do before, during, and after an armed robbery, and how to be a good witness and maintain the evidence.
- Check & Credit Card Fraud - learn what to look for in order to spot these types of crimes before they happen.
- Counterfeit Money - learn what to look for to help you identify counterfeit money.
- Shoplift Prevention - this presentation will assist clerks and other employees on how to recognize a shoplifter.
Residential Crime PreventionThe Residential Crime Prevention presentation covers topics including:
- Auto Theft - Through this presentation, you will learn why, where, when it occurs and how to prevent it.
- Elder Abuse - How to recognize and report it.
- Community Oriented Policing - What it is and how it affects the way the police respond to calls.
- Fraud & Scams - What to watch out for and how to protect yourself.
- Emergency Preparedness (La Mesa Survive) - This presentation is offered by the La Mesa Fire Department and Neighborhood Watch Groups. Residents will learn how to prepare for and behave during and after a major disaster.
- Graffiti - What does it mean? Is it gang related? What you can do to help get rid of it?
- Neighborhood Watch - Overview of the program and how it can make your neighborhood safer.
- Operation ID - Learn why this special marking procedure for your property is important in helping the police catch crooks, convict them and get your stolen property back.
- Residential Security Survey - A Crime Prevention Specialist will come to your residence, review the existing conditions with you, then make simple, practical suggestions to help you make your home less vulnerable to burglary.
- Security Lighting & Hardware - learn about the various types and which are most effective