The City of La Mesa is excited to announce that we have partnered with the San Diego Humane Society for all animal services. This new partnership was approved by the La Mesa City Council during the meeting on January 11, 2022.
This partnership gives our pet families a host of comprehensive services, including:
- Digitized dog tags that allow lost dogs to be reunited with their families in a timely manner
- Specialized programs offered by the San Diego Humane Society, i.e. Kitten Nursery, Behavior Center, Pilar & Chuck Bahde Center for Shelter Medicine, Bahde Wildlife Center, Community Support Services and community education
- Extended hours for animal control and dispatch
What do you need to do?
Absolutely nothing! All transfers of information will be handled by the City of La Mesa and the San Diego Humane Society.
- The City of La Mesa will be licensing all dogs through January 31, 2022.
- If your dog has a current license with the City of La Mesa, it will be transferred to the San Diego Humane Society and will be honored until it expires.
- Effective February 1, 2022, the San Diego Humane Society will process the licensing of all dogs in the city of La Mesa.
- All pet owners will be receiving a letter from the San Diego Humane Society with important information that will help you to better understand the process.
The City of La Mesa wants the very best for our pet families. By partnering with the San Diego Humane Society, we are joining other cities including Carlsbad, Del Mar, El Cajon, Encinitas, Escondido, Imperial Beach, La Mesa, Oceanside, Poway, San Diego, San Marcos, Santee, Solana Beach and Vista to give you and your pet the added services you deserve.
Thank you for being a valued resident in the City of La Mesa, our “Jewel of the Hills.”