A Regular Meeting of the City Council via Teleconference
Tuesday, October 26, 2021
City Council Chambers La Mesa City Hall 8130 Allison Avenue La Mesa, California
Mark Arapostathis, Mayor Jack Shu, Vice Mayor Bill Baber, Councilmember Colin Parent, Councilmember Vacant, Councilmember
related to an item on this agenda submitted to the Council after
distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection in
the City Clerk’s Office, 8130 Allison Avenue, during normal business
City of La Mesa encourages the participation of disabled individuals in
the services, activities and programs provided by the City. Individuals
with disabilities, who require reasonable accommodation in order to
participate in the City Council meetings, should contact the City’s
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator, Rida Freeman, Director of Administrative Services, 48 hours prior to the meeting at 619.667.1175, fax
devices are available for the hearing impaired. A City staff member is
available to provide these devices upon entry to City Council meetings,
commission meetings or public hearings held in the City Council
Chambers. A photo i.d. or signature will be required to secure a device
for the meeting.
IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING OCTOBER 26, 2021 COUNCIL MEETING FORMAT IN RESPONSE TO COVID-19 PANDEMIC
This meeting is being conducted utilizing teleconferencing and electronic means consistent with Government Code Section 54953, as amended by Assembly Bill 361, in relation to the COVID-19 State of Emergency and recommended social distancing measures. The City Council meeting may be viewed live on Cox Cable Channel 24 (within La Mesa City limits), AT&T U-Verse Channel 99 (in the San Diego Region),the City’s website (www.cityoflamesa.us), Facebook Live (www.facebook.com/lamesaca), or using the following Zoom Webinar options:
The public may view the meeting live using the following remote options:
Copy and paste the webinar link into your internet browser if the webinar link does not work directly from the agenda.
Live Public Comments
To provide oral public comments during the meeting, join the Zoom meeting by computer, mobile phone, or dial in number. On Zoom video conference by computer or mobile phone, use the “Raise Hand” feature. This will notify the moderator that you wish to speak during a specific item on the agenda or during non-agenda Public Comment. Members of the public will not be shown on video but will be able to speak when called upon. If joining the meeting using the Zoom dial-in number, you may raise your hand by pressing *9. Comments will be limited to three (3) minutes. No further comments will be entertained after the Mayor closes public comment.
Written Public Comments
Members of the public who wish to make public comments may submit their comments by email to be read aloud at the Council meeting by the City Clerk. Email comments must be submitted to the City Clerk at email@example.com by 4:00 p.m. the day of the Council meeting and be no more than 300 words. Any language beyond the 300 words shall not be read during the Council meeting. The counting of words, for the purposes of public comment submissions, shall follow the same standards as set forth in Elections Code § 9 (see Attachment A). Please note in your email subject line either “public comment” for non-agenda Public Comment or the agenda item number related to the comment. All email comments shall be subject to the same rules as would otherwise govern speaker comments at the Council meeting. Form correspondence of identical content signed by different individuals shall be read aloud only once during the comment period. Immediately prior to the reading of such correspondence, the name of each signatory shall be stated aloud.
PROCLAIMING NOVEMBER AS RUNAWAY AND HOMELESS YOUTH PREVENTION MONTH
ADDITIONS AND/OR DELETIONS TO THE AGENDA
PUBLIC COMMENTS - (TOTAL TIME - 15 MINUTES)
NOTE: In accordance with state law, an item not scheduled on the agenda may be brought forward by the general public for comment; however, the City Council will not be able to discuss or take any action on the item at this meeting. If appropriate, the item will be referred to Staff or placed on a future agenda.
BOARD AND COMMISSION INTERVIEWS
1. INTERVIEW OF APPLICANTS FOR UNSCHEDULED VACANCIES ON THE COMMUNITY RELATIONS AND VETERANS COMMISSION
The Consent Calendar includes items considered to be routine. Unless discussion is requested by members of the Council or audience, all Consent Calendar items may be approved by one motion.
2. APPROVAL OF MOTION TO WAIVE THE READING OF THE TEXT OF ALL ORDINANCES AND RESOLUTIONS AT THIS MEETING
3. RESOLUTION MAKING FINDINGS PURSUANT TO GOVERNMENT CODE SECTION 54953, AS AMENDED BY ASSEMBLY BILL 361, AND RE-AUTHORIZING THE CONTINUED USE OF VIRTUAL MEETINGS OF THE LEGISLATIVE BODIES OF THE CITY OF LA MESA FOR THE 30-DAY PERIOD BEGINNING NOVEMBER 1, 2021 THROUGH NOVEMBER 30, 2021
4. RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING SUBMITTAL OF A GRANT APPLICATION TO THE SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORTATION PLANNING GRANT PROGRAM THROUGH THE CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION TO FUND THE SPRING STREET TRANSIT STATION MULTIMODAL ACCESS PLAN, AND IF AWARDED, ACCEPTING AND APPROPRIATING FUNDS; AND APPOINTING THE CITY MANAGER, OR DESIGNEE, TO EXECUTE ALL AGREEMENTS AND ANY AMENDMENTS FOR THE PROJECT
7. RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE ACCEPTANCE AND APPROPRIATION OF A GRANT FROM THE CALIFORNIA OFFICE OF TRAFFIC SAFETY TO CONDUCT A LOCAL TRAFFIC SAFETY, PEDESTRIAN AND BICYCLE SAFETY PROGRAM BY APPROVING THE ADDITION OF THE GRANT FUNDS TO THE FY 2021-2022 BUDGET
8. RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE ACCEPTANCE AND APPROPRIATION OF A GRANT FROM THE CALIFORNIA OFFICE OF TRAFFIC SAFETY TO CONDUCT A LOCAL TRAFFIC SAFETY, DUI ENFORCEMENT AND AWARENESS PROGRAM BY APPROVING THE ADDITION OF THE GRANT FUNDS TO THE FY 2021-2022 BUDGET
9. CONSIDERATION OF AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF LA MESA AMENDING THE ZONE MAP TO CLASSIFY THE PROPERTY ADDRESSED AS 8181 ALLISON AVENUE (APN 470-572-22-00) WITH THE DOWNTOWN COMMERCIAL (CD) ZONING DESIGNATION
Staff recommends the Council approve the second reading and adoption of the Ordinance.
10. CONSIDERATION OF AN APPEAL OF THE PLANNING COMMISSION’S DETERMINATION TO UPHOLD THE APPROVAL BY THE DEVELOPMENT ADVISORY BOARD OF PROJECT 2020-16 (CITYMARK COMMUNITIES, LLC), A SITE DEVELOPMENT PLAN FOR A 49-UNIT MIXED-USE APARTMENT DEVELOPMENT AT 5220 WILSON STREET, APN 490-660-31-00 IN THE RB-D-MU (RESIDENTIAL BUSINESS/URBAN DESIGN OVERLAY/MIXED USE OVERLAY) ZONE
Staff recommends the Council: (1) adopt the Resolution determining that Project 2020-16 is exempt from environmental review in accordance with Section 15332 of the California Environmental Quality Act (“CEQA”) Guidelines and approving the Notice of Exemption prepared for Project 2020-16 in accordance with CEQA; (2) adopt the Resolution approving Project 2020-16, thus denying the appeal; and (3) ratify the Design Review Board’s approval of Project 2020-16.